The Palais de Lomé was formerly known as the Palace of the Governors. It took seven years to build (1898 – 1905) and housed the German, then French, colonial powers. After independence, in 1970, the Palais became the headquarters of the Togolese government.
From 1976 – 91, the building received important guests of the Togolese Republic before becoming the Prime Ministerial headquarters. For the last two decades it has been empty and closed to the general public.