History of The Palais

Crédits : Palais de Lomé

The Palais de Lomé was built over seven years, from 1898 to 1905 during German colonisation.

The building first served as the German, then French governors’ residence until the independence of Togo on 27 April 1960.

It then became the seat of the Togolese Presidency until 1970, then from 1976 to 1991, it became a residence for the guests of the Republic of Togo.

In September 1991, it served as the residence of the Prime Minister

Following a period of social and political unrest in the ’90s, the building deteriorated significantly and then was left in ruins after two decades of abandonment.

The current renovation of the Palais de Lomé and its opening to the public are part of the programme of rehabilitation of historical heritage led by the Government.

Vous n'êtes pas connecté à internet